Emmanuel CollegeMarch 2018
In March 2018, Airway were tasked with replacing some of the air conditioning units at the University of Cambridge’s Emmanuel College. One of the larger colleges belonging to the University, Emmanuel College caters for around 500 undergraduate students, 150 graduate students, 90 Fellows and 150 members of staff. As such, there are plenty of people inside the college at any given time, and the temperature must be regulated and controlled constantly to keep students, staff and guests alike cool and comfortable.
We removed four old air conditioning condensers from the roof of the college, and replaced them. However, we didn’t install four new units: we installed one singular unit that boasted greater efficiency than the previous four combined. In addition, four commercial chiller units were installed in the basement, fed by insulated pipes which feed them with coolant. These chillers were then connected to the rooftop unit.
The old units were removed and correctly disposed of, with recyclable materials being sent for recycling.
The project was supervised by Matthew, our project manager, and Airway staff were present on site throughout the entire process. The college can now enjoy more efficient, effective air conditioning units!
Airway were asked by a roofing company to remove all existing equipment on the roof at Yamaha, Milton Keynes, so they could repair damaged equipment on the roof of the building.
Upon inspection of the equipment, we found that the air handling plant was very old, and as such we felt it needed replacing so it could cope with the stress of the crane lifting it off the roof. We decided a new bespoke plant was needed, so we had one designed and quoted, which was accepted.
The roof plant itself was extremely compacted and squashed in, as well as looking somewhat unorganised, so we removed all the old AHUs, including the air conditioning condensers.
A couple of months later, our bespoke AHUs and their controls had been built, which meant that the next step was to lift them onto the roof and pair them with the existing air conditioning equipment. The new plant was installed, as well as a gantry system and new platform, which allowed for more space on the roof and easier access for any maintenance personnel who may need to reach the units in the future.
After the work was completed, we were very proud to see that the client was more than happy with the work we’d done.